Do I need to fill in a Self Assessment tax return?

It depends on your income or earning..For all the below, you need to file a Self-Assessment Tax Returns

  • your self-employment income was more than £1,000
  • your income from renting out property was more than £2,500, in case its between £1000 and £2500, you need to contact HMRC if it was between £1,000 and £2,500)
  • you earned more than £2,500 in untaxed income, for example from tips or commission.
  • your income from savings or investments was £10,000 or more before tax.
  • you need to pay Capital Gains Tax on profits from selling things like shares or a second home.
  • you’re a director of a company (unless it was a non-profit organisation, such as a charity)
  • you, or your partner’s, income was over £50,000 and you’re claiming Child Benefit
  • you have income from abroad you need to pay tax on, or you live abroad but have an income in the UK.
  • your taxable income was over £100,000
  • if you earn over £50,001 in the 2019/20 tax year (£50,001 for 2020/21) and make pension contributions you may have to complete an assessment to claim back the extra tax relief you’re owed
  • you are a trustee of a trust or registered pension scheme
  • your State Pension was more than your personal allowance and was your only source of income,
  • you received a P800 from HMRC saying you did not pay enough tax last year.

  • You can also fill in a Self Assessment tax return if you want to make voluntary Class 2 National Insurance Contributions (NICs) to help you qualify for benefits such as the State Pension.
  • You do not need to fill in a Self Assessment tax return if you’re an employee who has paid tax through the Pay As You Earn (PAYE) system, unless you earnt over £100,000.